CARBON OFFSETTING PROGRAM
Cloudbridge would like to offer you the opportunity to participate further in our forest restoration work and reduce your carbon footprint through contributing through the Cloudbridge Carbon Offsets program. Your contribution will not only help to slow the rate of global climate change but will also assist in the preservation of precious and unique biodiversity.
Cloudbridge Carbon Offsets
Cloudbridge provides carbon offsets through the protection of existing primary and secondary forests and the restoration of previously cleared cattle pastures. In line with the existing Costa Rican government’s Payment for Environmental Services (PES) Program, Cloudbridge is providing offsets at US$20 per ton of carbon and averages carbon offsetting at one ton of carbon per acre each year, across our different forest types. Through the purchase of Cloudbridge Carbon Offsets you can be assured that your offsets provide additional environmental and social benefits such as:
- The protection of existing and creation of new habitat for numerous animal species including the endangered Resplendent Quetzal, the threatened Black Guan bird and keystone species such as the Puma and Tapir.
- Employment opportunity for members of the local community of San Gerardo de Rivas.
- Environmental education for international tourists and the local community and schoolchildren.
- Other environmental benefits such as watershed protection and soil stabilization and regeneration.
Calculating your Carbon Footprint
Carbon offsets are measured in metric tons of carbon dioxide-equivalent (CO2e).
The following site can help you calculate the carbon emissions associated with aspects of your daily life: www.carbonfootprint.com. To purchase Cloudbridge Carbon Offsets you could leave a donation in the box at the reserve, or click on Donations. This will take you to the PayPal website where you can use your credit card to contribute to assist with the Cloudbridge’s conservation goals.
(Note: In the United States, donations are tax deductible as Cloudbridge is a program of the Cloud Forest Conservation Alliance, a 501.c.3 tax exempt organization in New York )
What is a Carbon Offset?
A carbon offset is a financial instrument that represents a reduction in greenhouses gas emissions. One carbon offset represents one less metric ton of greenhouse gas released into the atmosphere. Carbon offsetting has gained momentum among consumers who have become aware and concerned about the potentially negative environmental effects of their energy-intensive lifestyles. In such circumstances, individuals and companies purchase carbon offsets to mitigate their own greenhouse gas emissions from transportation, electricity use, and other sources. For example, an individual might purchase carbon offsets to compensate for the greenhouse gas emissions caused by personal air travel. (a long haul flight typically generates 4 tons of carbon dioxide per passenger).
Offsets are typically achieved through financial support of projects that reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. The most common project types are renewable energy, energy efficiency projects and forest carbon projects.
Forest carbon projects mitigate the effects of climate change via two methods including:
- Increasing carbon sequestration (ie holding back the carbon) through the planting of trees and the establishment of new forest areas, which absorb carbon as part of their natural growth cycle.
- Preventing greenhouse gas emissions associated with forest loss through the protection of existing forests (a method typically referred to as ‘avoided deforestation’). Under this method a given carbon offset is equivalent to the amount of carbon stored in the forest, i.e. the amount that would be released into the atmosphere if the forest was cleared.
Further information on carbon offsetting can be found at:http://www.conservation.org/FMG/Articles/Pages/dell_forest_carbon_offsets_madagascar.aspx